Wednesday 25 March 2015

Digital Imaging - HDR

Another digital imaging task up on my blog today, this time its HDR photography - in other words 'High Dynamic Range' photography. HDR is a process and technique in photography that combines either one image, or a series of images in which they are merged together and adjusted, by changing and improving the contrast ratios, which are impossible to produce through a single shot image and its aperture and shutter speed. HDR photography is in a sense, images merged together to create one. But these images are of the same scene, but all at different shutter speeds. It can range from 1 image, to anything around 10 of the same image but all of different exposures. In other words, an overexposed image, a normal exposed image and a underexposed image. Once we pop these images into Photoshop, the process should bring out all the detail from the shadows and highlights that would be impossible to shoot from just one single shot from the lens, from all three images bought together to create a scene or a final image that really produces a striking and intricate photograph.

I actually used an image I shot from Buscot Park last year as it looked like the perfect image to work with when producing a HDR image. I created my final image from 4 different images, one underexposed, one overexposed, one unedited image and one which I just increased the brightness and contrast slightly so I had 4 images to work with.


 

 


To create something that looked like this...





























I am very pleased with this image, apart from the sky which I think looks too edited and almost like a painting, so I need to practice getting the detail balanced well on all parts of the image to make it look detailed as a whole. But other than that I couldn't be happier with my final image. The detail on the grass is amazing and I cant believe how different this image looks from my single images above and what it can produce when combining images together. I cant wait to be using more of this technique in my work and it was a technique I was definitely most excited about trying out after being set the task!


Until next time guys! :)

x

No comments:

Post a Comment